Liverpool terror police focus on bomber’s lair and discover ‘items of interest’

Liverpool terror police focus on bomber’s lair and discover ‘items of interest’

Emad Al Swealmeen’s property is believed to have ‘items of interests’ after inspectors examine his flat – it is suspected his makeshift bomb was built within his rented flat

Police investigating the terror attack at Liverpool Womens’ Hospital are concentrating on the lair of the bomber.

The rented flat in Rutland Avenue near Sefton Park has yielded significant “items of interest” for investigators.

Failed asylum seeker Emad Jamil Al Swealmeen – who changed his name to Enzo Almeni to sound more Western – is believed to have built his home made bomb in a room in the double fronted Victorian property.

Forensic experts will be checking for any chemical traces and trying to match them with the remains of the device that exploded on Sunday.

They will also hope that evidence may enable them to discover where the constituent parts of the bomb were obtained and exactly what sort of device it was.

Experts are still trying to find out if a failure of the device saved lives.

Video of the blast suggests that the detonator exploded but possibly a bigger device failed to trigger.

Taxi driver David Perry picked up the bomber from the address, about a seven minutes drive from the hospital.

The 32-year-old terrorist was a Christian convert who had reportedly had an asylum claim rejected in 2014.

He moved to the UK from the Middle East several years ago and was supported by a Christian couple who at one stage housed him in Liverpool.

Police said it could take “many weeks” before they fully understand what happened in terms of planning, preparation and how things unfolded.

Meanwhile NHS organisations have been asked to review their security arrangements after the UK threat level was raised.

A letter has been sent to organisations, including hospital trusts and GPs, asking them to make sure all staff are aware of their incident response plans, and urging steps to be taken to “mitigate identified risks”.

The suspect, described as artistic and a motor racing fan by the couple who took him in, changed his name to Enzo – after the renowned racing driver Enzo Ferrari.

Home Office minister Damian Hinds was asked why the suspect had been allowed to stay in the country, but he said he could not comment due to it being a live investigation.

Four men arrested under terrorism laws in the Kensington area of Liverpool – three aged 21, 26 and 29, who were held on Sunday, and a man aged 20 who was detained on Monday – have now been released from police custody following interviews.

Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson, from Counter Terrorism Police North Wes said “significant progress” had been made, but that there was a “considerable way to go” in understanding how the incident was planned, prepared for and how it happened.

The head of the NHS in England praised staff at Liverpool Women’s Hospital who “really focused on maintaining services” despite a “really difficult 48 hours”.

Nick Aldworth, former Counter Terrorism senior national coordinator, stressed the public was key in catching terrorists.

Last year around 10,000 pieces of information and tip offs were passed to the security services, with a fifth acted upon.

“You can never eradicate terrorism,” he said. “In 2014 Isis called on their followers to pick up a rock and use anything in acts of violence. That low level….means you can never stop it. But the biggest help is public vigilance.

“Last year, 10,000 people gave police information of which a fifth became active intelligence. People’s reporting is as important today as it ever was.”

katalisnet